First of all, I’m so sorry about the picture. My camera died and now I’m operating with my cell phone and I’m having a few issues. Please don’t let that stop you from making this super simple dish! You can call it a carrot salad or you can call it a side dish, it doesn’t really matter, just make it right away!
I got the concept from Melissa Joulwan, whose cooking style and recipes remain among my very favorites. Adding warm veggies to a highly seasoned dressing and then allowing everything to hang out together is utter brilliance. It comes together with very little hands-on work and then only gets better as it sits.
I made a version of these carrots when we had friends visiting and just got a request for them. Unfortunately, I don’t remember exactly what I did the last time. The thing is, there are many ways to season and spice these carrots so if something sounds like it might be appealing, then go for it! I think the lemon juice is really the kicker because the citrus brightens the whole dish and helps bring it together. In one version today I used allspice and regular paprika and in the other I used smoked paprika. That’s the one that I’m including here because it’s totally addictive.
I hope you enjoy it!
1 lb. of carrots
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 clove of garlic, minced
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. minced parsley
- Peel and cut the carrots into 1″ chunks.
- Place carrots in a pot and cover with water, adding a large pinch of salt.
- Bring water to boil, then cover and simmer the carrots for about 7 minutes, just until tender.
- Meanwhile, place oil, garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and salt in a serving bowl.
- Once carrots are tender, drain them, shaking off any excess water, and add them warm to the dressing.
- Toss to coat.
- Add parsley, toss again, and adjust seasoning to your taste.
- Serve with love!
2 thoughts on “Smoky Carrots”
Pingback: Whole45@45 – Day 14 | Balancing Paleo
Pingback: Whole45@45 – Day 18 (Body Confidence) | Balancing Paleo