Yesterday I was thinking about how easy this has been. No cravings, things are going well, my energy finally picked back up; the only thing I was a little frustrated with is that I’m not seeing the weight loss that I was anticipating. I was okay with that. Sort of. Bodies respond differently to things, it can take time, it’s really only been two weeks, what was I expecting? So some frustration, but overall still going strong.
Then I woke up this morning and my hardest day showed up. All of a sudden, I was having cravings galore and nothing seemed to satisfy my hunger. Eating this way is supposed to take care of all those things, but I haven’t experienced that yet. In fact, it’s been the opposite. I’m not craving sweet things, but I just can’t seem to feel satisfied. I don’t think that means keto doesn’t work, but rather that I have to continue on until my body settles down. It’s only been twelve days and when you’re talking about healthy habits and weight loss, twelve days is hardly considered a consistent pattern of eating. The funny thing was that I also recently saw the Whole30 Timeline again and it has these few days as being the hardest because our minds want to return to the old way. Consistency is important when beginning a new habit so I am definitely not giving up!
Now that evening is here, most of the cravings and concerns have dissipated, which is a relief.
As for today, here are a few things that I did to help work through everything:
- I meditated early on. I also focused my meditation on accepting the feelings that I was having instead of letting them overrun me and my actions. Once I acknowledged that I was having all kinds of cravings and that it was really frustrating, I just let it go.
- I had a good breakfast with all the right foods. Super important to set the tone for the day.
- I ate, probably too much, but I stuck to the foods that are a part of my goals. Even though eating throughout the day and snacking are not how I want to be on a regular basis, it was what I needed to do today. Staying away from carbs right now is more important than eating too much on this day.
- I reached out for help. There’s a Facebook group that I am part of that focuses on Paleo and Keto. I put out there that I was struggling and got a lot of support.
- I reconnected to why I am doing this…I want to feel amazing and I believe that this way of eating might give me that energy and ease.
It’s important to realize that some days are harder than others. Sometimes there will be setbacks. And sometimes, like today, we might be filled with doubt about our decision to focus on a particular habit. If it’s early on in the process, that’s really the time to dig in and keep moving forward. More than likely, the shift is just on the other side of the hard days. Given that, I’m looking forward to tomorrow!
2 thoughts on “Sometimes It’s Hard”
It’s interesting you posted this because I’ve been having some of the same issues on day 10. I dreamed I ate all the things I’m not wanting to eat. Such as pizza, ice cream and donuts. It’s crazy what our minds do to us. I’ve found if I’m eating enough fat, I’m not hungry at all. But the minute I’m short on it I struggle. What is the fb page your on?
On a different note my whole family has strep, including me. This has been a little discouraging, because I have been doing really good and the last 2 days, I haven’t really eaten. I’m sticking to paleo things, and trying to stay keto, but I haven’t logged to make sure. I’m trying to look at it like, I’m making this a lifestyle. You get sick in life and have to learn to manage how you eat with how you feel. Any who, thank you for your honesty, it was really needed.
I’m so sorry you are all sick! That’s so hard. If you have any bone broth, that might be soothing and healing. I remember being hungry in the beginning of Paleo too, but only for about 5-6 day. I’m sure I just don’t have it all aligned yet. Sending healing vibes!